Shop By Category
Shop By Brand
- Package Deals
Serving Bikers Since 2001. More than 1 Million Packages Shipped!
Have you got a cruiser and have been dreaming of riding down the road behind a sexy and protective fairing? Did your bike come equipped with a fairing or have you added an aftermarket motorcycle fairing? Well keep reading... as in this Cruiser Customizing Fairing and Fairing Accessory Buying Guide we will touch on both scenarios with a quick fairing guide and then we will dig into the fairing accessories which will enhance your fairings aesthetics as well as its form and function!
So, why are fairings such a big deal? Well, this could be controversial… but what the heck. The biggest baddest Harley’s to roll off the showroom floor in the past several years have been baggers and now everyone wants a bagger. But why, that question still hasn’t been answered… Simply, a fairing will provide the rider maximum protection from the elements as well as the perfect platform for his tunes, gps, fairing bag and other creature comfort items. The fairing has the potential of transforming a bike from just a ride (or form of transportation) to the perfect roadworthy machine for any distance! Essentially, the bagger rider has comfort and wind protection not found on any standard motorcycle, not even one equipped with a windshield.
Now, let’s get you where you need to go… If you are researching the purchase of a fairing, keep reading. If you have a fairing and are looking for ways to make it more comfortable, functional, and better looking, skip down to the “Fairing Accessory Buying Guide” section of this article. Thank you… see you there in a few.
These are the two most common questions riders who are researching fairings ask the Cruiser Customizing team via email, on the phone, or in person. We believe that anyone who can turn a wrench and has a few ounces of patience can surely successfully tackle their own fairing installation. Check out this Fairing Installation Video and then ask yourself if you are up to the task. Accessory installation isn’t for everyone, but for some it empowers them and makes them feel more connected to their motorcycles.
There are many fairing manufacturers out there and most of them service both Harley and Metric riders. Today we will cover the two most popular ways to order a fairing:
1) Universal: Memphis Shades Batwing, Klock Werks, or AirMaster
2) Make / Model Specific: Hoppe Industries
With most universal fairing applications you will need to first choose your fairing and then find and purchase all of the accessories need to get the fairing mounted and functional. Let’s look at a typical Memphis Shades Batwing and what it would take to get that fairing on your bike:
1) Batwing Fairing: While Universal there are a couple different models for fitment on various motorcycles:
2) Trigger Lock Mounting Brackets: These mounting kits are Make / Model specific so make sure you choose the right kit for your bike and fairing choice.
4) Windshield/Fairing Trim: This is not “necessary” for the installation of the windshield to the fairing, but it does complete the look.
5) Lower Wind Deflectors: These deflectors are listed as an “accessory” but we think of them more as a “necessity.” The air which flows under the fairing can cause helmet buffeting and these deflectors redirect the air out and away from the rider which in most cases eliminates head buffeting.
As outlined above this “Universal Fairing Set-up” will run you (audio included) about $990. This is is a great cost effective way to get a quality fairing onto your motorcycle.
If you are looking for the easiest single purchase Make / Model application fairing we suggest Hoppe Industries as your source. You will be able to choose, via a single part number, for the perfect fairing for your specific motorcycle. Mounts, windshield, and all hardware will be included. Hoppe Industries offers several levels of fairing and you can learn about them in this quick Hoppe Industries Video as well as learn more below:
1) Vanillazilla: This is a fiberglass fairing finished with a high gloss gel coat paint with a 12” windshield.
2) Rodzilla: This is a fiberglass fairing finished with a high gloss gel coat paint with choice of windshield height as well as these options: Featuring the INFPRV250 radio, Bluetooth Streaming Audio, 4x50 Watts, FOUR 5" coaxial marine speakers for great sound at any speed with any pipes. Includes a 12 volt power socket, USB port, 3.5mm "mini-jack" auxiliary input port with detachable 3ft. patchcord, and Removable Windshield Pouches.
3) Mediazilla: This is a fiberglass fairing finished with a high gloss gel coat paint with choice of choice of a 5" Dark Tint, 5",8" & 10" DOT approved Light Tint, or 5",8",10",or 12" clear windshield as well as these features / options: Featuring the INFPRV250 radio, Bluetooth Streaming Audio, 4x50 Watts, FOUR 5" coaxial marine speakers for great sound at any speed with any pipes. Includes a 12 volt power socket, USB port, 3.5mm "mini-jack" auxiliary input port with detachable 3ft. patchcord, Removable Windshield Pouches, Optional Chromed finish on speakers, Concealed internal antenna for a clean, uncluttered appearance.
4) Quadzilla: Classically styled fairing that delivers supreme sound quality. Top-quality hand-laid fiberglass construction, gloss black gel-coated and ready to paint. Includes Eclipse AM/FM/CD/USB radio (40W x 4); features removable faceplate, auxiliary input, three-band EQ and USB connection.Stereo comes completely assembled with marine-grade weather door and four 5-inch pre-wired speakers. Easy quick-detach connection to bike electrical system. Includes a 12 inch clear windshield. Includes all necessary mounting brackets and hardware.
The fairing on your motorcycle (regardless of brand) is a stylish accessory / feature which provides you stylish protection from the elements with the ability to “rock out” while being comfortable. Sounds perfect doesn’t it? What if we told you that there are accessories available which will make your riding experience even better!? Here we go…
There are literally thousands of “fairing accessories,” but the top four most popular ways riders accessorize or enhance the effectiveness of their fairings are as follows: Wind Protection, Tunes, Storage and Lighting.
1) Wind Protection of a fairing can be enhanced via a new or redesigned windshield as well as with lower wind deflectors. Check out this fairing windshield sizing video which will help you find the perfect height for a traditional windshield. If looking for the sleekest and sexiest but most functional shields, check these out for size!
The second way you can enhance your wind protection is by the addition and use of fairing lowers or wind deflectors. These deflectors simply mount on the lower sides of your fairing and direct the wind that normally hits you at waist level out and away from your body! Some of the most popular deflectors are as follows:
2) Tunes or Audio can easily be added to your motorcycle fairing. If you have a Memphis Shades Batwing, we recommend the HogTunes Speaker System. If curious about the installation or the sound of this Hogtunes unit, watch Kelly install the Hogtunes speaker system on a Vstar 1300. If you are running a Harley Davidson fairing or possibly a Hoppe fairing, speakers, amps, and deck options are limitless. Just make sure you get either Motorcycle Specific or Marine Grade stereo components. These two types of stereo components will best withstand vibration and the effects of weather.
3) Fairing Storage is totally doable once a fairing is installed. These pouches are great for storing smaller items you want to get to quickly. Here are a few of our favorite windshield / fairing pouches:
4) Lighting and Chrome can really dress up the look of your fairing while at the same time making it more visible. The lighted bat lashes from Kuryakyn are simple to install and give your bike a unique look! Some of our customers have even noted that these lashes will work on the Memphis Shades Batwing too! When it comes to fairing chrome, Kuryakyn is the king and some of the top products are Inner Fairing Dress-up, Deluxe Fairing Trim, and Inner Fairing Accents.
Motorcycle fairings just might be the “most practical trend” we have seen in the motorcycle space for years! It’s for sure a trend where style, comfort, and function all play a part in making your motorcycle adventures easier and easier. We hope that you have enjoyed this Fairing and Fairing Accessory Buying Guide.
Until next time, take care and ride safe!
Kyle & the CC Team